Biome in a Box
For this project, you must create a three-dimensional box, complete a writing component, and give an oral presentation.
The inside of your box must include:
· The inside walls should be decorated (covered with pictures or construction paper, or painted).
· Use different types of material to show examples of flora (flowers) and fauna (animals).
· Show the terrain of your biome (mountainous, flat, hilly, sandy, etc) using materials.
The outside of your box must include:
· The outside walls should be covered with construction paper or painted.
· Include a written description of your biome’s characteristics. These may be bulleted.
ü Left side wall- precipitation (inches or centimeters), temperature (high and low, C or F), 5 animals and 5 plants with at least 2 adaptations for plants and animals.
ü Right side wall- map showing locations (map key/color coded), locations (country and contintent) written under map, terrain, and 2 natural resources.
Choose one of the following writing topics. You must have at least 1 paragraph with 8-10 sentences for the topic you choose. Remember, you are the expert on your biome.
· Pretend you are an animal or plant from your biome. Write an autobiography describing your life and interactions that you have in your biome with the other plants and animals, terrain, temperature, etc. The conclusion of your paragraph should tell why you choose your animal or plant.
· Pretend you are a travel agent. Create a written brochure convincing people to book a vacation to your biome. Use your biome’s characteristics in your brochure to make people want to travel there.
· Pretend you are a forest ranger. Write a detailed guided tour of your biome that you would give to a group of people visiting from a large city. To educate the people taking the tour of your biome, be sure to include characteristics of your biome.
You and your partner will be orally presenting your box and writing component to your teachers and classmates. The oral presentation should be split up evenly between you and your partner. Be sure to look at your audience and speak loudly, clearly, and with expression when presenting.